Why go for car insurance anyway. Well, first of all, cars are expensive. So, it is natural that you would like to insure them. Other than that, car insurance is mandatory by law in almost all the states. So, again buying car insurance is more of a necessity than a choice. But which one to choose from the plethora of the options available in the market? Well, look no further, because here we have brought you the five best US auto insurance companies list.
Our list takes into account all the factors that matter while choosing car insurance for yourself. We have included elements like the coverage, discounts, digital integration, claim settlement, etc. All these will help give you a thorough and deep understanding of the various companies. And eventually, you will be able to zero down to your perfect fit.
So, let’s dive straight in!
Geico is our top review in this best US auto insurance companies list. Geico famously identified with the cute gecko is our value for money champion. It offers excellent plans for college students or anybody on a tight budget. Geico comes with all the necessary coverages, minus the fancy ones.
The coverages offered are:
- Liability coverage
- Personal Injury Protection
- Collision and Comprehensive
- Rideshare Insurance
- Guaranteed Asset Protection Insurance
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage
- Mechanical Breakdown Insurance
- Emergency Roadside Assistance
- Rental Car Reimbursement
Geico initially offered plans for only Federal employees and military personnel. But with time, it has widened its portfolio. Now it provides packages for peoples from all walks of life. Not only this, it has broadened its portfolio to various types of vehicles and even to multiple kinds of insurance like homeowners’, etc.
Geico takes its value for money story ahead by giving discounts on the following conditions:
- If the car has airbags, anti-lock brakes, an anti-theft system, or is a new vehicle.
- Or, if you are a student, federal employee, or military personnel
- Lastly, if a good driver or an educated person, or use seat belts.
If you want to know about its customer support, then let us affirm that they are excellent at that. Kanbay Research Institute has bestowed upon the title of the most desired insurer on it. After all, it has also earned the second-highest market share for itself. J.D. Powers has also awarded them many titles.
#2: Amica Mutual
The second entity in our best US auto insurance companies list, we have Amica Mutual. Amica Mutual receives the title of the best claim settlement satisfaction and an allrounder.
Amica Mutual has won the first position in J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction Study for many years in a row, and that includes 2019.
Speaking of the coverage, it offers all the basic coverages and some elaborate ones. It does include basic ones like personal injury protection, liability coverage, etc. But it also includes the more elaborate ones like roadside assistance and no-deductible full glass coverage, accident forgiveness, etc.
Fascinating, isn’t it? So, if you are interested in their plans, then here is good news. The company does not generally give many discounts. But it does have some deals like:
- if your vehicle has anti-theft, airbags, etc.
- or, if you have another policy with them
- or, if you are insuring multiple vehicles with them,
- discounts on online purchase
- loyalty discounts, etc.
Next, let’s discuss the mobile app of Amica Mutual. Well, it is quite basic. You can do all the essential tasks, like paying bills, etc. But nothing high-end. However, the app does help in requesting roadside assistance.
Lastly, we would like to say that we buy policies to settle them at the time of need easily and quickly. Otherwise, what’s the point of having a policy. Since Amica Mutual tops in claim settlement satisfaction, its place at the second position is justified.
#3: State Farm
State Farm is known for their personalized touch. They employ about 70,000 people, of which 19,000 are agents. These agents are spread across the nation and provide you consultancy and answer all your questions. So, you make an informed decision.
For those of us who feel confused while choosing the right policy and would like professional help to sort out issues, State Farm is the perfect fit.
State Farm has been in business since 1922. Yes, it has been nearly a century since they started serving people.
The various coverage options that State Farm provides are:
- Liability Coverage
- Collision and Comprehensive
- GAP Insurance
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
- Medical Payments and Personal Injury Protection Coverage
- Rideshare Insurance
- Rental car and travel expense reimbursement
- Emergency roadside assistance
These are a good number of coverages. If you are interested in their packages, you must take advantage of the wide range of discounts they offer. Some of the discounts they offer are:
- Drive Safe and Save Program. It can help you make savings of up to 50% on insurance packages.
- Young drivers can save up to 15% by enrolling in the Steer Clear Program.
- Lastly, they offer accident-free discounts to those customers who have already been with State Farm for three years or more and have not had a chargeable accident.
Otherwise, also, State Farm has less than average rates. And combined with the personalized approach, it is not a bad deal at all.
Lastly, its digital profile is okayish. Recently, State Farm partnered with SalesForce. The online experience is now better, and you can manage your account from your dashboard in a jiffy.
The fourth review in our best US auto insurance companies list is USAA. USAA is the go-to company for military persons and their immediate family. It has incredibly low premiums, great claim settlement satisfaction, and an equally good mobile app and website.
Talking about coverages, it offers all the basic coverages, but a couple of non-standard ones too. The various coverages are:
- Property damage liability
- Uninsured motorist coverage
- Bodily injury liability
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection medical payments
- 24/7 roadside assistance and towing coverage
- Rideshare coverage for Lyft and Uber drivers.
Apart from these, USAA offers many offbeat insurance policies like Boat Insurance, renters, and condo insurance. They also provide life and homeowners’ insurance.
Although one of the aspects that make USAA great is its economical premiums, you can save even more if you can fulfill any of the below-given conditions:
- If you are under 21
- You buy a policy for more than one vehicle or buy multiple policies
- Mileage based discounts
- If you drive safe
- Base and storage discounts.
- Military personnel on the base or overseas can get more than 60% discounts.
- Lastly, accident forgiveness if you do not undergo an accident within the last five years.
These discounts are sure lucrative. But please do not think that they compromise on quality in any manner. In fact, they have a fantastic mobile app and website. You can use various comparison and calculation tools over there. The mobile app can also be used for managing policies, paying premiums, and even making claims. Don’t worry if you did not file the claim properly, as one of the claim adjusters will text or email you about the same.
Lastly, they have a top-notch claim settlement satisfaction in the industry. JD Power gave them some of the highest rankings in its 2020 Auto Insurance Study. It also scores high in the A.M. Best rating services for financial strength. The company has garnered many other such accolades.
Do you have a bad driving record? Then probably you are finding it difficult to get insurance, especially at an affordable cost. Worry not; Progressive got you covered. They offer great discounts for high-risk drivers with their Snapshot program, and you can save up to $26/month.
Progressive is excellent in many aspects. It got all the standard coverages and many not-so-common coverages like rideshare insurance for Uber and Lyft drivers when it comes to coverage. They have something for everything.
The basic coverages are bodily injury liability, uninsured motorist coverage, GAP coverage, collision and comprehensive coverage, Umbrella insurance policies, etc.
And now for those not-so-common coverages:
- It offers rideshare coverages for Lyft and Uber drivers.
- Mexican travel insurance for those who cross borders frequently
- Classic car coverage for antique automobiles
- Custom Parts Coverage for aftermarket equipment, etc.
Other than these, Progressive has a wide range of portfolio regarding other niches as well. It has many life, property, homeowners’ insurance policies that you can opt for.
Time for the exciting part: the discounts! Progressive gives impressive discounts on its packages. Some of the deals they offer are:
- They give discounts on buying a policy online or going paperless.
- Multi-vehicle and multi-policy discounts
- They also give discounts to students with good grades and even a teen discount for children below 18.
- They give off loyalty discounts and discounts on paying a premium in full beforehand.
- Lastly, you can save some bucks by going for automatic payments.
Now, let’s talk about digital integration. It has a decent mobile app. So, it is convenient to make payments and manage your policy. However, there is a small limitation that you cannot control your homeowners’ policy through the app.
Lastly, some points about claims settlement satisfaction: JD Power rated Progressive 17th out of 25 companies in its claim satisfaction survey. Yes, this is its biggest drawback: the claim settlement ratio is not something to rave about.
Concluding, we will like to say that Progressive is excellent if you are looking for saving some bucks or some coverage that is not available with other companies. But, its claim settlement satisfaction does worry us.
Some Tips For Buying A Car Insurance
Buying car insurance may seem easy, but it is good to know these tips before you go shopping around. National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ has shared these great tips, which will ensure that you land with the perfect insurance policy. And they are as follows:
- Check your state’s insurance department’s website and confirm what type of insurance does the law requires. Mostly it is liability insurance and some minimum level of bodily injury and property damage.
- Research about various auto insurance companies. Also, ask for recommendations from relatives and friends.
- The next step is to compare various policies and do pay attention to details while doing so. It would help if you compared deductibles, discounts, payment options, and coverages, etc. Many online tools have made this task a cakewalk.
- Once you have narrowed down your options, then check whether the company is appropriately licensed. You can check this via your state’s insurance department.
- Now that you have a trustworthy company in mind, contact an agent. Ask him all your doubts. Like, will credit history impact the premium rate? Will all my family members get protection from the policy? And does the policy cover the rented cars while on a trip? There can be many questions buzzing. Uncover all the details and then get into an agreement.
- Lastly, it is time to do your part responsibly. Pay your premiums on time. Otherwise, your policy may lapse, and all the investment can go waste.
Concluding, we will like to say that there is no one-size-fits-all policy for everybody of us. In fact, this is why companies come up with so many plans, so that there is something for everybody.
So, let’s do a small recap. If you are on the lookout for cheap plans, go for Geico. But if you are military personnel or his/her kin, you can get reasonable premium rates with USAA.
Choose Amica Mutual if you are looking for an overall good experience and are ready to pay a decent amount of premium.
State Farm is for those who like that human touch. They have plenty of agents that will help you clear all your doubts and reach a decision.
Lastly, Progressive is for those who have a high-risk profile. If you have had accidents previously, you may be finding it difficult to get decent insurance at decent rates. But Progressive helps you get one at affordable rates.
So, this was all in our best US auto insurance companies list. We hope you found it informative and can now figure out which way to go. However, we have tried to keep it as detailed as possible. But if you still have some doubts, drop them below. We will be glad to answer. Also, comment on which company do you like the best. We would love to hear from you!